Sunday, January 29, 2012

Wigging Out


Looking at myself in the mirror with a sleeping cap on, I said, "Now I look like I have cancer." I turned and looked at my friends. They said, "It's OK to feel that way." It's so strange being given a diagnosis of cancer, yet really not feeling "sick." Don't get me wrong, the left side of my chest aches along with my arm, but it feels like a pulled muscle. Other than that, I feel like myself. So shopping for wigs, buying items to prep for chemotherapy is all very surreal since nothing has really happened yet. I don't feel any different, other than knowing that I have the diagnosis of cancer. And that thought is incredibly scary.

My girlfriends met Kwiatek and I at Bravada's Wig Design shop in Fairfax, Virginia. This is the same shop Kwiatek bought her two wigs when she was going through treatment. With the advice of Kwiatek and another pink sister, I thought it would be good to try on a few styles and colors. My friends, Jennifer, Lola and Susan were there to help me find the perfect wig that I would feel like myself in. Believe it or not, I found a wig called Elizabeth in the color ginger brown that perfectly matches my current hair. Only difference is, it will ALWAYS look good. Ha!

I also found a hat with hair attached to it made by Henry Margu, which is perfect for when I need to run errands or want to take Cazazu for a walk. My pink sisters told me how useful having this will be for me. My girlfriends helped me find a beautiful hat, vintage-looking scarf and another scarf in golds, greens and browns that comes already tied. The woman helping me try on wigs gave us a tutorial on how you can tie the scarves. I'll have to give it some practice (along with my eyebrow stencils). I was just so happy my friends were there -- I don't know that I would have been able to shop for a wig on my own.

Afterward, we all went to Artie's for lunch where my friend Joanna and one of my pink sisters (also named Jennifer) met us. We drank mimosas, ate brunch and I realized that even though treatment will be challenging, my friends will be there every step of the way. I also know that my life will go on. I will have bad days, but on good days, I will still be able to meet girlfriends for brunch and do the other things I love. Cancer may slow me down, but it won't stop me.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have been there for you as well when you went wig shopping. I love the video clip documenting this! It made me feel as if I were apart of it! Thankyou so much! I love you very much and I'm praying for you constantly!

    ReplyDelete