Tuesday, January 31, 2012

UPDATE: Change in Plans

(written by Jen Kwiatek)

Herceptin Fab (antibody)
Chemotherapy is being delayed a couple of days. The radiologist believes he can get to the nodule in the left lung in order to do a biopsy. The biopsy will tell us two things:

1.) Is this breast cancer in the lungs or an infection? It is most likely breast cancer, but there is a chance it could be an infection.

2.) If this is in fact breast cancer, are the receptors HER2 positive? There is a 10% chance they are and that means they would not respond to the current chemotherapy cocktail chosen by Jenn’s medical team. By doing this biopsy, they can ensure that they are hitting the cancer with the right drugs. If there are HER2 receptors found, there is a drug made specifically to eradicate this protein called Herceptin. (I was on this drug for a year. It’s amazing.)

With that said, there is a risk of collapsing the lung by doing the needle biopsy of the lung nodule, but this is a risk Dr. Heyer and Jenn’s medical team is willing to take in order to give Jenn the very best odds possible.

Dr. Heyer has reassured Jenn that holding off on chemotherapy for a few days won’t hurt her or make the cancer any worse. They want to be very smart in how they plan their attack.


  • UPDATED: Thursday, Feb. 2 at 10:30am EST: Needle biopsy of the lung nodule
  • Wednesday Feb. 8 at 9:10am EST: First chemo treatment

I will continue to post blogs as we gather more information. Keep the positive thoughts, warm wishes, prayers, love and light coming. Jenn can feel it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment