Thursday, February 2, 2012

Needle Biopsy of the Lung Nodule

(written by Jen Kwiatek)

Jenn and I are at Reston Hospital for the needle biopsy of the nodule in her left lung.

When we arrived there was an elderly man collapsed on the floor of the lobby. Jenn and I asked his son, "Do you need help?" He said, "Yes, I think I do." Jenn and I dropped our purses running to his aid. Together the three of us lifted the man into a wheelchair. He was very sick and dizzy. Here's a girl with Stage 4 breast cancer lifting a man back to safety. I'm in awe.

Once we reached the Radiology Center we heard over the intercom of the hospital came "Code Blue." Jenn looked at me, I knew her anxiety was high. I rested my hand gently on her back while she filled out another set of agonizing paperwork.

It wasn't until almost 11:45am that they took her back. Within a few minutes my name was called. I felt like I was going to puke. All I could think was, "OMG, something went wrong and I'm going to have to call Jenn's mom and Christian." Once I got into the surgery prep area I realized Jenn was having a panic attack. They usually don't let people back here, but that meant nothing to me. I immediately jumped into her bed with her.

Within a few minutes we were laughing and talking about how cute the PA was. They just took her back for the biopsy which should be an hour. I kissed her and told her how much I loved her and then cried in the empty room when she was out of earshot.

She will have to stay here four additional hours after the biopsy for them to monitor her lung and ensure it does not collapse. I will post another blog once she is back safe and sound to me. Please pray ... pray the hardest you ever have!

1 comment:

  1. Kwiatek.... I don't know you, I only know of you. But I thank you with all I have going thru this with her. Your friendship and dedication leaves me speechless. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete